Pottery newbie looking for help please

Comments on Kiln not firing up to temperature

Waterbe1

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 0
Posted Nov14, 2017 - 10:59 PM:
Subject: Kiln not firing up to temperature
Hello, I am trying to understand why my kiln doesn't fire up to 1250C. It is a Nabertherm Eco40 kiln (13A) which we bought approximately 7 years ago. Unfortunately life got in the way and apart from a biscuit fire up to about 1000C (which seemed to be ok) we haven't used it since. Now I am trying do do a glaze fire. I set the programme (Stafford controller) as detailed in the instruction manual. All goes well up to approximately 950C then the ramping is slowing down lots. I started the firing at 10:15 this morning and currently it is at 1022C (11pm). The ramping slowed down to 1C/min up to 950C, then it got even slower. It went up by 4C in the last half hour. Does anyone have any experience with this? I will try and call the manufacturer tomorrow... Is it anything to do with the power supply? Or a dodgy element? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
highbridgepottery
Joel Edmondson

Usergroup: Members

Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 4
Posted Nov15, 2017 - 7:57 PM:

Seems to be specked to go to 1300. Couldn't find an Eco40 but there was an eco45.

Not sure what the elements are like but my best guess is one long one or two in series to make up the 18ish ohms of the elements.

Get a multimetre and measure the resistance from where the power starts at the elements and where it ends, should be around 18 ohms if all is good. If it is far off then you need new ones.

Try that, if they are 18ohms then something else is wrong.

Waterbe1 wrote:
Hello, I am trying to understand why my kiln doesn't fire up to 1250C. It is a Nabertherm Eco40 kiln (13A) which we bought approximately 7 years ago. Unfortunately life got in the way and apart from a biscuit fire up to about 1000C (which seemed to be ok) we haven't used it since. Now I am trying do do a glaze fire. I set the programme (Stafford controller) as detailed in the instruction manual. All goes well up to approximately 950C then the ramping is slowing down lots. I started the firing at 10:15 this morning and currently it is at 1022C (11pm). The ramping slowed down to 1C/min up to 950C, then it got even slower. It went up by 4C in the last half hour. Does anyone have any experience with this? I will try and call the manufacturer tomorrow... Is it anything to do with the power supply? Or a dodgy element? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission . Log in, or register if you haven't yet.